Monday, November 23, 2009

He's Crafty?

Well, after a great weekend that included a family Thanksgiving get-together complete with plenty of fun and laughter, and way too much food, today marked the beginning of a new project.

Our friends, the McMillans, are coming for a Thanksgiving pow-wow this weekend. (Really, they are more like family because our bond is just too strong to classify them as just friends.) They have 5 kids and one on the way, and when Jaden and the kids get together, the sky's the limit on what their imaginations will dream up. They have been planning this whole W.W.I/W.W.II soldier thing and have really been burning up the phone lines trying to coordinate everything. PTL for unlimited long-distance!

One day last week, Jaden got off the phone and announced that he was in charge of coming up with the "weapons" for everyone to use. He was going to try to whittle and carve the "rifles" out of tree branches. Quite an undertaking for one person of any age, so I told him I would love to build some toy rifles for everyone. Hey, any excuse to pull out the power tools works for me! I got him to tell me what they wanted the guns to look like and did my best to draw something on poster board that would resemble a military rifle.

This afternoon, I traced the design on the lumber, pulled out the scroll saw, and started trying to follow the line. After a little bit of effort (and changing to the right kind of blade) I was able to get 2 of the "guns" roughed out before dark. Only 4 more to go! I'm having a blast doing this and I can't wait to see their faces when they get their surprises. Yes, Jaden is the only one who knows...they still think he's whittling and carving branches! I love it! Here's a picture of the rough work.


I'll keep them coming as everything progresses. In the meantime, I want to challenge you to find something you can do for someone and surprise them. They'll enjoy it and you will too.

No comments:

Post a Comment