Sunday, February 15, 2009

My Dash

Wow! I just realized how long it's been since my last post! I've been busy online, but it has been scattered over my work blog, Facebook, and twitter. I'm about to make a change, though. There is going to be more focus on this blog, so please, don't give up on me.

I mentioned I had been spending time on Facebook. I have to admit that I'm hooked, but not because it's the cool thing to do. I have actually found people that I grew up with and friends from school, some that I haven't seen for over 20 years! Some have changed and some still look like they did back then. Most of us have families, and there are some who have gone through some pretty rough challenges along the way. The funny thing to me, though, is how memories can come racing back as if everything had happened yesterday. That has made me stop and think about the way I might be remembered by them.

I know we're not supposed to live our lives looking back, and that's not what I'm trying to do. I've heard about the "dash" that is placed on tombstones. It comes between the birth date and the date of death. That dash marks our life and is where we make a difference. There's only one dash, which means we have one chance to do what we've been placed here to do.

Obviously, there's no way to go back and undo the things of the past. What's done, is done and that's OK. I just want to make sure that my present and future actions don't bring shame to God, my family or me. I hope that self won't get in the way and prevent people from seeing God in me. The last thing I want to do is cause someone to turn away from God and the freedom He has given to us through Jesus.

I may not be able to undo the past...and the memories that others have of me stand as they are. The cool thing is, with Facebook helping me to reconnect, I feel as though I've been given sort of a second chance. I hope that my friends will be able to tell a difference in me. I wasn't a bad kid, but I blindly missed part of my dash. Thankfully, I have a chance to keep working on it, with my eyes wide open this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment