Saturday, January 17, 2009

Ahh, Rest!

I'm glad it's the weekend! Saturday morning means no alarm clock, which means I can sleep until it's all out! I like that!

I like my job! It's challenging, and certainly not boring, but it also brings its share of stress. I know every job has a certain amount of stress, but the regular stress of work can be compounded when you want to help push forward toward excellence, but just aren't really given the chance.

Relax, I'm not going to sit here and dump on you! I just want to encourage you (and me too) that no matter how tough things get, we have chances to relax along the way. All we have to do is take advantage of them. I know people who work hard in the office, but it doesn't stop at the end of the day. They have to work late, and then they still take it home with them and keep working through the evenings and even on weekends. Everything revolves around work. They can't even take a vacation without having to keep tabs on everything that's going on at work. To quote Charlie Brown, "Good grief!"

I made a promise to Becky when we got married. Work would be work, and home would be home. The two shouldn't cross! Have I always kept that promise? Unfortunately, the answer is, "no." Now, she understands that there are times when extra work is needed. There's no problem with that, but she is quick to remind me if I cross the line into obsession. Hallelujah!

So, it's the weekend, and work is work. I'm home, and my focus is on my life which consists of God, my family, our friends, and the hobbies I enjoy doing. Somehow, I have the feeling that work will still be waiting for me when I walk in on Monday. If you're a workaholic, think about this. When we are old, I doubt we'll ever regret not impressing the boss by getting that task completed early, but I'll bet our hearts will break when we think about the times we missed with our family and friends.

I'm glad it's the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment