Wednesday, August 4, 2010

A Perfect Gift!

Well, I've recovered from an action-packed weekend!  I love hanging out with family and friends, but there was something that happened on Sunday that capped it off in a royal way!

The weekend actually started last Thursday with Becky's oldest sister, Kathy, coming for an "end of summer break" visit.  I have to say, it's nice to be able to work from home so I can maximize my time with company while they're here.  We had a great time Thursday and Friday, and the fun was kicked into high gear on Saturday when more of her family came to spend the day with us.  We had a great time talking and laughing, and the day just flew by.  They headed home Saturday evening, and we spent a little bit of time relaxing and getting ready for the big day on Sunday!

I've posted about Damon, Maggie and the kids before so I won't go back into detail about our relationship with them.  I'll just say that they are more family than friends, and they were going to dedicate baby number 6, Sidney-Kay, during the Sunday morning church service.  We have been given the honor of being her godparents, so that made our being there even more special!

We got up early Sunday morning and headed to Houston anticipating a good time and a wonderful dedication ceremony...but were we ever surprised at how things turned out!  I've probably seen hundreds of dedications during my lifetime, but I can honestly say that I have never seen anything like this!  It was apparent early in the service that there would be no dedication ceremony!  No bringing the family forward just before the message, no simple prayer spoken over the baby and family, no simple charge to the family and the church to raise the baby in the fear and admonition of Jesus!  Instead, the entire service was given to sharing how God can use the gift of Sidney-Kay's life to share so much of Himself with us!  It was beautiful!

During the message, the Pastor talked to each of the family members and asked them to use one word to describe what SK meant to them.  Each one had a unique perspective of what God was revealing to them through her life.  The Pastor would take that and expound on it before going to the next one.  Before I go any further, I should probably explain just why this is so special.

Sidney-Kay was born on March 4th and was diagnosed with a mild form of Down Syndrome.  Even though it's mild, she has still had her share of physical challenges over the last few months.  Most recently, she was taken in for tests and the doctors found that she had a hole in her heart.  If it didn't heal on its own then they would have to try to patch it through surgery.  So many have been praying and believing that God will heal it so she won't have to go through the surgery, and she is scheduled to have a follow-up test soon to find out how it is progressing.  Your prayers are very much appreciated!  I know He is able to heal and I give Him praise for that!

Needless to say, she is a special baby and is truly a gift from God!  Her dedication service was so awesome and I'm still blown away by how God has used a little baby to bless so many people.

After the service, we spent the rest of the afternoon hanging out with the family and had a relaxing day!  It ended too soon, and I was so wrapped up in the service and the fellowship that I completely forgot to take any pictures.  Oh, well -- they wouldn't have done it justice.  A picture might be worth a thousand words, but no picture can compare to what God says through friends, family and the gift of a beautiful, perfectly designed baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment